When should I use block quotes?
The block quote is used for direct quotations that are longer than four lines of prose, or longer than three lines of poetry. A block quote is always used when quoting dialogue between characters, as in a play. The block format is a freestanding quote that does not include quotation marks.
How do you paraphrase a conversation?
How to Paraphrase Text
- Read and Make Notes. Carefully read the text that you want to paraphrase.
- Find Different Terms.
- Put the Text into Your Own Words.
- Check Your Work.
- Get a General Idea of the Original.
- Check Your Understanding.
- Make Notes.
- Write Your Summary.
How do you skip lines in a quote?
The rule: Indicate that you have skipped material within a quote by placing three periods (an ellipsis) in place of the missing material. Do not place an ellipsis at the beginning or end of a quote, ever: only to indicate skipped material in the middle of a quote.
Do I need to reference if I paraphrase?
No matter whether you use quotations or paraphrase another’s words, you always need to give references — both in the text and in the reference list.
How do you paraphrase academic text?
How to paraphrase
- Read the original source carefully.
- Identify the main point(s) and key words.
- Cover the original text and rewrite it in your own words.
- Write the paraphrase in your own style.
- Review your paraphrase to check it accurately reflects the original text but is in your words and style.
What is a feeling paraphrase?
Definition: A skill that focuses on the content and cognitive portion of the client’s message rather than on the affective (feeling) component. You restate the client’s message, using your own words. Helps to: Confirm meaning of what the client has said and therefore feels understood.
When can we use paraphrasing?
When should I paraphrase? You will want to paraphrase or summarize when the wording of the source is less important than the meaning of the source. The paraphrase and summary allow you to maintain continuity of style in your paper and show your mastery of source material.
How do you connect two different quotes?
Quotes in quotes: For quotes within quotes, use single quote marks, both opening and closing, for the internal quote. If both quotes end together, you would end with a single quote mark and double quotes marks.
How do you integrate a quote in a literary analysis?
- QUOTATIONS IN LITERARY ANALYSIS.
- QUOTATION INTEGRATION.
- requires a parenthetical reference, retain the original punctuation within the quote.
- prose, you must indicate the ends of lines of poetry with slash marks ( / ).
- you have added something for clarification or changed a verb tense.
How do you quote a big passage?
Long quotations For quotations that are more than four lines of prose or three lines of verse, place quotations in a free-standing block of text and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, with the entire quote indented ½ inch from the left margin while maintaining double-spacing.